BIG invites all readers of our blog, newsletter, and interested members of the Bandon community to stand with us during our weekly demonstrations at the intersection of Highways 101 and 42s. Wednesdays 3:30-4:30pm and Fridays 2:00-3:00pm continue as our demonstration times.
We request of all interested people that they maintain a respectful demeanor toward the public, and if they have any questions about how we conduct ourselves, they can refer to any of the experienced BIG people available. With signs held during demonstrations, we want to deliver positive messages, policies, etc. as opposed to derogatory statements.
While individuals can bring their own signs, we will make signs available to those who wish them. We ask that no signs endorsing political candidates be brought. Thank you for your support and we’ll see you out there!!
Guidelines for Demonstrating with BIG
Guidelines for Demonstrating on 101 and 42s
- Demonstrations are held two afternoons a week: Wednesdays from 3:30pm-4:30pm and Fridays from 2:00pm-3:00pm. Please arrive on time on whatever day, or days, you commit to. We always want demonstrators to have partners with them.
- Please have in mind these are peaceful, non-violent demonstrations. Citizens encouraging awareness in other citizens.
- To the extent you are comfortable, smile and wave at drivers and passersby. On occasion, you may receive a negative gesture or comment. It is recommended you ignore such behavior; we want to maintain a positive attitude. Some of us respond with a peace sign and a genuine smile (not sarcastic).
- If an individual approaches you seeking information, please feel free to share what you are comfortable with and either refer them to one of our experienced BIG Demonstrators or to our website for more details. Give them one of our cards or a pen with links to website and our email.
- It rarely occurs, but if an aggressive individual approaches you or a fellow demonstrator, do not engage in argument. Refer them to the website and return to demonstrating. We recommend that demonstrating partner move close enough to the interaction to get a sense of its tone. The partner should also have their cell phone with camera out to record the incident, or call police if necessary.
- Legally, the public right-of-way, where we are allowed to stand, includes the sidewalk and approximately 3 ft. of grass beyond the sidewalk. Please try to keep to the sidewalk and this area.
- We are not allowed to use the parking lot behind the area where we demonstrate. Please park at the strip mall nearby, or any other public parking space.
- We want to leave the area clean of any materials we may have brought with us (paper cups, wrappers, water bottles, etc.).
THANK YOU FOR JOINING US!